Since we've been home from our vacation we've spent a lot of time stuck at home sick. For two straight weeks we passed it around the house. It started out with Maddie getting the stomach flu. The same day one of our dogs came down with it. I've never cleaned up so much throw up in one day. Nasty, I know. The day after I came down with it. The following day Maddie seemed to be feeling a little better, she still had diarrhea and wasn't eating or drinking a whole lot but she actually wanted to go outside and play. So we were outside playing with the dogs and out of no where she had a seizure. She has always been healthy and developing typically, so it really came out of the blue. Being an OT, I see kids have seizures all too often and know how to handle it. However, when it's my own child I realized that I'm not as prepared as I would have liked to think. I was terrified and forgot all the rules. As best as I can remember I'm guessing it lasted about a minute. I know to look at the clock to time a seizure, but that didn't even cross my mind at the time. She wasn't breathing and I rushed to the phone and dialed 911, something I never want to have to do again. It must have been a slow day because I ended up with about 6 paramedics in my house, an ambulance, two police cars, and the fire department SUV in front of my little house. Maddie came out of the seizure really slowly and didn't really cry so the paramedics suggested we go to Primary Children's just to play it safe. By the time we got to the hospital she was becoming more alert and started to cry. She cried for at least a half hour before she fell asleep on my chest. The poor baby was so worn out. The ER docs and a neurologist said there was no neurological reason for the seizure and think it must have been related to her stomach flu. They said sometimes when kids have diarrhea it can lead to a seizure. Most kids will never have another one. I'm hoping Maddie will be one of those kids. The following week our family fought the nasty cold that is going around. I am happy to say now that we are all healthy and Maddie hasn't had any more seizures. You would never know we had such a crazy two weeks! The whole ordeal really made me reflect and realize how thankful I am for everything I have. I couldn't ask for a better husband and sweet baby girl. I'm just so grateful for all that we have and for the trials we go through. I have always respected the parents of the children I work with in the school district, but I really have a new perspective and feel so empathetic towards those poor parents who have to watch their kids have seizures every day. It's not an easy thing to have to see.
This picture is blurry, but I thought she looked so cute in her puffy vest and this is the best picture I could get. She just doesn't sit still.
Many thanks!!
8 years ago
9 comments:
I am glad you had a good time in Hawaii with Carolee, I am also glad that your little one is doing better! How scary!
Oh my goodness!! Madi looks so grown up in that picture!! I'm so glad you guys are better!
Val so scary....I am glad everyone is doing better, but I can't even imagine watching your baby have a seizure :(. Oh and the pic of Madison in the puffy vest is to die for she is a little girl now it is crazy, so cute!
Poor Val. I can totally understand the way you have felt after 6 weeks of illness at my house and a trip to the ER. Though I would have flipped my lid if there was a seizure involved. You did so good. Your baby looks so very grown up. WOW!!! She is gorgeous.
Oh my gosh!! I am so sorry you had to deal with all of that! I can't even imagine how scary that would be as a mom! Glad everyone is better now! She sure is cute!!!
Val-that is so scary! I can't imagine how I would deal with that! I'm glad everything is okay now. It's amazing how things like that really put things into perspective. You are such a cute mom! I'm glad you guys had fun in Hawaii!
Wow... that's a lot to deal with! I am glad everything turned out ok! That picture is so cute!
That's so scary - I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious than that. She is beautiful and is growing up so fast.
Happy to see everything is alright. That seizure sounds like what we call "Febrile Seizures," and statistically they're quite common among young kids around a time when they have a fever. The good thing is that there have been no known side-effects for these mild type. I agree with your neurologist that it is rare to have more than one. Tell Matt I said "Hi." Eric
Post a Comment